If you like Chinese stir-fry dishes, you must try this recipe: the vegetable and rice cake stir-fry. The dried Chinese rice cake gives a nice rice fragrance to the dish, adding a chewy texture. It also absorbs the umami flavours from the sauces, making this dish anything but boring.You can use any vegetable you like, even adding some meat if preferred.
- Chinese rice cake: 200g
- Carrot: 60g
- Zucchini: 60g
- Asparagus: 100g
- Garlic: 2 groves
- Soy sauce: 3 tbsp
- Dark soy sauce: 1 tbsp
- Oyster sauce: 2 tbsp
- Sichuan pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Toasted White sesame seed: a little bit
1. Soak the Chinese rice cakes in water for at least 10 hours. You can keep them in the fridge overnight. Drain them right before cooking.
2. Cut the vegetables into bite size. Slice the garlic groves finely.
3. Heat the wok with oil. Add garlic and fry over low heat until golden brown.
4. Add in vegetables and stir-fry them for around 1 minute.
5. Add soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and the Sichuan pepper. Mix them well with the vegetables and stir-fry for another 1 minute.
6. Put the rice cake into the wok and stir-fry everything together until the rice cakes are soft and the vegetables are cooked.
7. Taste and add salt if needed. Garnish with some sesame seed.
It is definitely an easy and quick dish to prepare, but meanwhile flavorful and healthy. Time to give it a try at your home!