Char Siu: super easy recipe to make Cantonese barbecue pork
Char Siu (叉烧), also known as the Cantonese style barbecue pork, is a famous meat dish in Cantonese cuisine. It is widely used in Cantonese noodles and rice bowls. But it is best known as the filling in the Char Siu Bao.
Many times we get scared of making Char Siu by ourselves because the sauce for making Char Siu takes many ingredients and complex steps to prepare. But good news is that now you can find the ready-to-use Char Siu sauce on our e-shop, which helps you to obtain the restaurant standard Char Siu easily at home!
Now all you need to do is to shop the Char Siu Sauce from our store, get your oven ready and follow the recipe below!
- Pork neck or pork shoulder meat: 1000g
- Char Siu sauce: 1 bottle
- Honey: 4-6 tbsp
- Marinate the pork neck meat using the Char Siu sauce. Make sure to brush a layer of Char Siu sauce evenly on the surface on both sides.
- Leave the meat in the fridge to marinate for at least 8-10 hours.
- Take out the pork neck and lay them on the baking tray. Brush another layer of Char Siu sauce on both sides of the meat.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C then roast the meat for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes take out the tray and brush another layer of Char Siu sauce on both sides of the meat. Meanwhile, lower the temperature of the oven to 150°C.
- Put the tray back in the oven and continue cooking it for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes take out the tray and brush a layer of honey on both sides of the meat. Agaian, lower the temperature of the oven to 120°C.
- Put the tray back in the oven and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Take out the Char Siu and leave it to cool.
Check out the below video recipe for more details:
Find out how to make Char Siu Bao, the barbecue-pork filled steamed buns, on Cina In Tavola blog.